What is a castor oil pack?
A castor oil pack is one of my favorite naturopathic tools to use. We get this great healing therapy from Edgar Cayce, also known as the sleeping prophet. The castor oil pack is used topically. Even though many people grew up having castor oil poured down their throat, I don’t like to ingest castor oil as it can be very harsh on the colon. However, it can be helpful if you are past your due date and trying to induce delivery.
What is a castor oil good for?
Castor oil is used topically for so many things! People have used it topically and seen amazing benefits for arthritis, pain, skin conditions, allergies, and more. We use the castor oil pack for liver health, gallstones, constipation, and pain from menstrual cramps and other female health issues to name a few.
How does it work?
The castor oil pack is placed topically on the body with a heating pad on top of it. The heat causes the body to absorb the castor oil into it in a faster manner. The body will bring the castor oil into it where it can start healing.
Piece of wool flannel (most health stores sell them)
Heating pad/ hot water bottle
2 Plastic garbage bags
1. Place one garbage bag down on the bed/ sofa (wherever you will be lying down).
2. Place the old towel on top of the bag. This will protect your sofa/ bed from any oil that may drip.
3. Pour oil onto the wool flannel. You just want enough to saturate the flannel. You don’t want the flannel to be dripping.
4. Take off your clothes, lie down, and place the flannel that is saturated with oil on top of the liver or other area.
5. Place a garbage bag/ plastic bag over the flannel. This will keep oil from getting on your heating pad.
6. Place a hot water bottle/ heating pad on top of the bag and flannel.
7. Relax for an hour to 1 ½ hours with the pack on. The longer the better. You can even sleep overnight with it on.
Things to Note
You can do the pack as often as you like. It can be a little messy, but it is well worth it. You will want to take off your clothes while doing the pack so that you don’t stain them. This is a great time to pray, meditate, listen to soothing music, etc. Castor oil packs can be used in cycles of 4 days on/ 3 days off, 5 days on/ 2 days off, or every other day for best results.